This site informs Clapham Residents and users of The Common
about Lambeth Council's
proposed changes to the Old Town area.
Plans are afoot to park up to seven buses on the East side of the
Common, along The Pavement.
The picture below shows an aerial photograph of the proposals.
After reading the panel on the right, if you would like to read more click on the
Save our Common - say NO to
Option A & Option B
On separate pages, we also look at how our children will be
affected , as well as the threat to our mature trees, if the new
"Gateway" plans go ahead.
- Destruction of the Historic views between Old Town and the
Common, which have remained little changed for more than two
- The line of parked buses creates a barrier between Old Town and
The Common, contrary to the original Master plan of 2007.
- Closure of the road behind The Polygon results in all
traffic through Old Town being routed along The Pavement,
where the line of Buses is shown, resulting in greater
congestion in Old Town.
- Removal of much needed residents parking spaces on both sides of The
Pavement. There is nowhere else in the area that could provide the more
than twenty spaces that will go.
- Removal of the two Club Car spaces, presently on The
- Increased noise and pollution along Old Town with
increased difficulty of loading and unloading for
In our opinion, the plans are