The Original Master Plan 2007
The plan below shows the Master Plan adopted by Lambeth in
2007, which has been ignored. Notice how it improves links between
Old Town and The Common with two new pedestrian crossings.
Lambeth's original proposals for the "Gateway" turned this plan on its head.
The Original Master Plan addresses
many of the points raised in Lambeth Council's Design Study of 2002.
The design study identified the following shortcomings with the
Old Town area.
The Original Master Plan, on the left,
resolves these by the addition of two pedestrian crossings from The Pavement,
as you can see from the plan.
These also address some of remits of the
Design Study, namely by:-
- Poor links to the Common.
- Few safe pedestrian crossings.
- Poor walking and cycling routes.
How can any of these points be addressed with
the parking and queuing of buses along The Pavement that the subsequent Clapham Gateway
Option A proposed? Thankfully, Option A has been abandoned.
- Creating better connected areas.
- Improving the area for local people, businesses and visitors.
- Ensuring good accessibility for
the greatest number of people.
- Maximising environmental and road safety benefits.
- Reducing the dominance of traffic.
- Improving pedestrian and cycle access.